Friday, May 14, 2010

Lauterbrunnen - Schiltorn

9th May - Lauterbrunnen - Schilthorn

As it was slightly sunny when were having breakfast we decided to go up to Piz-Gloria, Schilthorn, another peak about 10,000ft high. It was also the location for 'Her Majesty's Secret Service' James Bond movie.

Although the Jungfraujoch was higher, the journey to the Schilthorn was more interesting. Starts with a very steep cable car ride (5mins) then a train ride to Murren. A 15 min walk through Murren (a town perched on the edge of a mountain!) - then the next cable car - extremely high above the ground. We all got off that cable car and walked into the complex which had a restaurant - but disappointed to find it all closed! We had planned to have lunch there as it was Mother's Day so I was treating Mum to lunch! As the group on the cable car were all discussing how disappointing it was that the restaurant was closed, somebody said 'hey there's another cable car ride - we aren't there yet!!!'. We all bustled our way to the next cable car, feeling relieved!!!

The next cable car ride was absolutely magnificent!!!! I'm not sure how high we were by then - probably around 7000 or 8000 feet! Over mountains and through clouds! The final approach to Schilthorn was so steep I wondered how the cable car was going to do it!

Finally we had arrived - was reasonably cloudy but we could still see peaks in France and Italy - and apparently Germany but Im not sure those peaks were visible for us due to the cloud. We stood outside and took a bunch of photos, and although we were cold, we were relieved to find that we weren't affected by altitude at all this time! I guess an extra few thousand feet make a huge difference!!





We eventually went inside to have lunch - veal escalope with mushroom sauce and buttered noodles, vegetables - and peach, pineapple and strawberry pieces with whipped cream - all on the same plate! Bit bizzare but it all seemed to work!

While inside, a snow storm closed in and caused a complete white-out!! We literally couldn't see anything outside but white. I went outside so I could stand in it - I love snow - each individual flake is so beautiful - and it doesn't make any noise! I know if I lived with snow everyday I'd feel differently.

We stayed for another hour or so, drinking coffee (with schnapps!!!) and watching the movie all about Schilthorn including the building of the complex for the James Bond movie - including clips from the movie. The snow storm kept going so deciding we'd had enough of the white, we left. Was really eerie when we were waiting for the cable car, it suddenly appeared right in front of us out of the snow!! The ride down until we were under the snow storm and clouds was eerie too!!!

Had dinner at a cosy place called the Hotel Oberland. Too cold and wet today to sit out on our balcony!!





Aufwiedersehen!!! xxxx


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trudy - so wonderful to read of your trip and the fulfilment of your dream. I can almost smell the fresh swiss air and taste the french bread. Fabulous writing and photos for those of us who can only do this vicariously! May God bless you both as you continue! Love Victoria

    ReplyDelete