Today we caught train to Rapello - a big town on the coast. Has some cute laneways and shops - and lots of palm trees! Reminded me of the Gold Coast. Walked through the town to the waterfront to find the ferry to Portofino. Was a market all along the waterfront - in front of the Ferry sign, as it happened, so consequently we walked right around to the other side of Rapallo to a yacht club. :-) Must be lots of money in Rapallo as there were some magnificent boats docked. Asked for direction to 'traghetto' (ferry) and told it was wayyyyyy back where we had started from! A ferry was waiting to leave for Portofino when we got there so it was all good in the end!
Portofino WOW! I wish you could all have been there with us! It's fairly small but soooo picturesque. Lots of the classic coloured buildings and a small u shaped harbour which created a colourful border around the water and boats.
Clearly an exclusive place to live and shop - Armani, Dior boutiques. Very classy but at the same time really friendly and lovely. Coming in by ferry was brilliant. We walked up to a church high on a hill - this is the view we got (and Debbie - yes I am really there - here is a pic to prove it :-)).
Had lunch then coffee at a trattoria with a great view of harbour - actually I think they probably all have a great view!
Sad to leave on the ferry - but loved being there!! Gorgeous!!
Got back to Levanto (where we are staying) and walked down to the waterfront for dinner. Was beautiful and very peaceful watching the sun go down over our piece of the coast. How can one country be so diverse and soooooo beautiful?!? Mum and I shared a pesto pizza - the pesto is different over here - a Cinque Terra specialty actually - the pizza was a real surprise as to how yummy it was! Just a guy by himself in this quiet cafe, and no real kitchen - so we thought it had the potential to be a frozen one. It was a nice spot so we risked it anyway! Yummo!!!!
Funny - the guy thought Mum was asking for the toilet when she was actually trying to ask if food was still being served :-)
Walked back to hotel through old (ie cute) part of Levanto - past a gelati place that was beckoning to us - so what could we do!! Discovered a new flavour (new to me anyway!!) called merangue - and it was just like merangue mixture - not even like icecream!!! Like whipped egg whites and sugar - and as Wendy knows, I LOVE merangue mixture!!! Very delicious!!
A note about Levanto - it's a very nice place to stay - very clean, big variety of shops and fairly classy. So much so that ladies (who look like 'ladies who lunch - from Burnside - ie impeccably dressed, perfect hair etc) all seem to ride push bikes or scooters - it's an image that is still making me do a double take!! I'll try to get a photo - but they whizz by so quickly!!!! :-)
Ciao!
xxxx
Hi Trudy,
ReplyDeleteNow that you are seeing places that we didn't on our trip, I REALLY want to go back now and discover some more places. Amazing that one country can have so many beautiful places. Thank you so much for sharing them in such a wonderful way!
Chris Mc
That image of Burnside ladies'who-lunch zipping around on mopeds made me laugh out loud, Trudy!!! Glad you are having such a lovely time :) :) Love, Shelley
ReplyDeleteYes - now I really believe you are there - nice photo. It feels relaxing reading what you have written. as I am reading from my computer it makes sitting in the house seem really boring.
ReplyDeleteWent to Oakden Baptist on sunday night for a farewell for Paul Hoogie. Saw Oriana and she is travelling to Italy in September for a 6 week stay. She speaks the language and has rellies all over the place. She won't even look like a visitor. She is 41 and has never been over there so she will have a great time. I should get her to look at your blog.
Ciao - !!!!!!!!!!!!!is that the right spelling??? love wendy
Hey Trudy, glad to hear all is good. Fantastic photos and how beautiful are the place you have been. Keep enjoying your trip Sharon C
ReplyDeleteChris - it IS amazing isn't it! One amazing place after another!! Hard to stop taking photos actually as everywhere you look seems to be a picture!
ReplyDeleteShelley - I laughed out loud at the thought of you laughing out loud :-)
Wendy - what is Paul off to do? Exciting for Oriana - speaking the language would be wonderful. Actually I think we did ok - have just arrived in Switzerland (today) and really struggling with German!! Italian seemed quite natural and we already knew so many of the important words - ie cappucino, spaghetti !! Glad I have a German app on my phone that gives you and audio of the words as just LOOKING at the word is no help sometimes!! Richnafemballenflinginwufin !! Ok that's not really a word but I'm sure I can find one just as long! Am typing this on computer as have free internet - and the z and y kezs are in opposite spot - taking me ages to type this! LOL Yes 'ciao' was the right spelling :-). Hope you are well xx
Sharon - thanks! Have finally read your update too - sounds like you are having a great time also! Sounds beautifully relaxing. Good on you for the clever parking of the van too - impressive!