Friday, May 28, 2010

London days 2 and 3

20th May
Caught tube to Knightsbridge and visited Harrods :-). Then had egg and cress sandwich from Pret a Manger - its what I always used buy 12 years ago -and it tastes just the same!

Got back on the open top bus and saw some more sights - past Charring Cross Rd, Russell Square through to the London Eye. As we had tickets for this we got off and joined the flexi- pass queue. Took quite a lot of time even though we already had tickets . Finally we were on - you have to hop on while the big glass 'pods' move slowly past you - although it doesn't feel like it's moving slowly when you are about to step on it! With a group of us - about 20 or so - being encouraged by the attendants to 'go go go go go GO GO GO' - we entered the large glass pod. It was quite hot as the sun had finally come out. What a brilliant view of London!! So great to see it from the 'air'! The trip was advertised as 35 mins long but was more like 20 mins.







We then hopped into a cab to head to the theatre (I LOVE the London cabs - mostly friendly cabbies, clean, and so big - feels like a limo!).

Can't believe I went to a West End show tonight!!!!!! The buzz! The orchestra warming up. The historic theatres - there's probably not many West End theatres that I (together with Danielle!!) haven't been to. I'd previously seen Starlight Express in the theatre we were now sitting in (Apollo - near Victoria Station). We were here this time to see Wicked - the story of how the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz became the wicked witch. What brilliant performances - wow - what an amazing show!!!


21st May
Today Mum and I headed to High Barnet which is the very end of the Northern Line. An ancestor of ours, Edward Webb, had painted the main street including the church and pub, in 1879. Mum had a print of the painting so we wanted to see if we could find where it had been painted, and whether anymore family history leads would present themselves!

We did find what we thought was the general area in the painting but the church looked quite different so we figured that Edward had used creative license to change it! After a conversation with a local in one of the pubs in the painting we learnt there was a history museum down the road that probably has a book about the area that Mum could buy. Well the museum was closed but upon walking back through the church grounds we saw a sign stating that the church had been added on to about 10 years after Edward painted his painting - which explained why it looked so different! We went in to the church and chatted to various people - and shown the original entrance prior to the added on areas. It's just amazing how old these buildings are! 3rd century!!




Off we then went - back to London. Mum went to hotel and I went off to reminise and take photos of the first place I lived at in London - just off of Edgware Road in Marylebone! It hasn't changed a whole lot apart from the addition of a big Sainsburys on Edgware Rd (which is sure nicer than the pokey old Tesco that is still there in Church St). There are also a lot of coffee shops around - including Starbucks - and I'm pretty sure there weren't ANY when we were living there as the cafe / coffee culture was just starting to take hold in London - and Danielle and I really missed that in the early days!! Oh Danielle - the rehearsal room at the back of the piano shop is still there!!! I took a photo :-).

That night we went to another show -this time 'The Lion King' !! Wowwwwwww. What a spectacle! We were in the 3rd row which was absolutely brilliant!

London is so full of life!!! People everywhere at all hours!!


Next - our last day!!!! :-(

2 comments:

  1. You make me want to be with you in a place I've never wanted to be! Can't wait to catch up when you get home! xxx
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent the last few hours re-reading every single post and comment on our blog of our wonderful trip. I am so grateful to Trudy having done such a wonderful job with this as it is such a fantastic interactive record of our trip.
    I am so glad you have all felt that you have been with us throughout our adventures and thank you all so much for taking the time to not only read it but also post your very welcome comments and also for the text messages sent.
    It was a very special holiday to be able to go with Trudy and the fun times together will always be treasured. So many highlights but the day spent at Monet's Garden on my birthday was really up there, as was Venice, the Cinque Terre, the day at Zermat and the Matterhorn WOW! Lauterbrunnen - what a stunning special place and the Schilthorn on Mother's Day, Colmar the beautiful rest stop, Paris and the Theatre in London, the list could go on and on. This trip has been a wonderful experience shared with an equally wonderful daughter. Thank you so much sweetie. Look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete