Mum popped down to the boulangerie again to buy our croissants for breakfast and a baguette to share for lunch. Now we really felt like locals :-).
Walked to the Louvre and spent a few hours wandering through the French and Italian paintings. Mixed feelings about the ones we saw!! Some utterly outstounding and beautiful work, next to gruesome work (you know, the usual man slaying an animal, battle scenes, heads on platters!). Discovered an artist called Pannini - I seemed to love most of his work on display. The Louvre allows you to take photos so here is one of the paintings that I LOVED!!
We will see the impressionists (ie Monet) tomorrow as all in Musee D'Orsey.
Oh - also saw this funny little painting! :-)
After the Louvre we had our picnic lunch (including thermos of coffee!!) in Tuilerres gardens, right next to the Louvre. Had great view of the Loucre in front, and Eiffel Tower behind us - it's not every day you get to sit and eat Camembert with views like that!! And we really appreciated that!!
Then we hopped up onto the top deck of the open top bus tour - and had a ball being driven around for next couple of hours. Got off at Eiffel Tower and went up for sunset! Got to see Paris in afternoon sun, sunset and then stayed for night lights. We were standing outside on the deck when they turned the sparkly flashing lights on - brilliant!!!
18th - Today we went our separate ways for the morning (after again, having local croissants for brekky - and the girl recognizing Mum and saying bonjour - croissants and baguette?? :-) ).
I took the Metro to Le Grand Arche - its in a newer area of Paris and about 20 mins Metro ride. Loved it - was just as big and impressive as i thought it would be!
Mum went to Saint Chapelle church which unfortunately was closed - but still got to visit the flower markets near there.
We then met up at musee D'orsey and saw paintings by Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh etc. Fun!! We also had lunch at the beautiful restaurant / tea rooms. The musuem used to be a railway station and although we weren't allowed to take photos in the musuem we could in the restaurant.
Then we hopped back on the open top bus to try to get to the Paris Opera House (where Phantom of the Opera was set :-)) but unfortunately got there too late. I've actually seen it before - (with Danielle!) so I knew how beautiful it was - so I felt disappointed for Mum that we'd missed out - but I guess it leaves something to do on another visit :-) lol.
We had last dinner in Paris at a cute 19th century restaurant opposite Gare du Nord (the Eurostar station), had a look around the station then headed home to pack for London !!!!!
Paris is beautiful - elegant, sophisticated, full of history, life, and a feast for the scenses. We had a brilliant tine and are sad to say aurevoir. Although I'm VERY excited knowing that I'll actually be IN London tomorrow!!!
Au revoir!!!
Xxxx
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Wow Trudy what a time you are having. You look great...looks like travelling really suits you xx
ReplyDeleteSue
Hi there,
ReplyDeleteGot your postcard today - ta. Loved the monet photos.
Trudy C passed away last Monday morning and funeral is tomorrow. The MS and SS section of the school will close. Apparently Michael is doing well.
See ya Monday !! Wendy
Do you know anything about the $140 million worth of paintings stolen????? I find it hard to believe it was just a coincidence that it occured while you were in Paris...... How many million dolar paintings can you fit in a backpack I wonder :P
ReplyDeleteGlad to see a photo of you, Trudy. You do look so well; so relaxed! Glad the traveller's life is agreeing with you! x
ReplyDelete